The Tequila Ritual

The Tequila Ritual

Gone are the shooter days of mixto tequila, the salt and the lime.

We’ve all been there, lining up the shots, watching the faces of fellow compadres as we take on the spiky little golden devil.

Here at Rojo we don’t want to lose that ritual union, we want to make it an enjoyable one!

Great company shouldn’t be tainted with bad spirits.

One theory suggests that the salt and lime were to hide the taste of bad tequila, but with 100% blue agave tequilas and 100% agave Mezcals we feel there really is no reason to keep doing it. Our listed Mezcals boast a myriad of wonderful flavours that should be sipped and savoured!

Typical Mixto Tequilas contain a minimum of 51% blue agave, and the remaining 49% from other sugars, typically cane sugars. We are proud to say that all of our Tequilas are 100% blue agave.

So we are offering up a selection of traditionally inspired accompaniments that will complement your chosen agave distillate and refresh the palate.


Sangrita, meaning ‘little blood’ is a traditional accompaniment to a tequila served completo; a non-alcoholic sipper that cleanses the palate between doses of agave. Said to have originated from leftover juices, real Sangrita from the Lake Chapala region of Jalisco is made with Seville orange and pomegranate juices, with powdered chiles added for heat. It’s designed to be sipped alongside blanco and sometimes reposado tequila but here at Rojo we feel it also works well alongside unaged Mezcals too. Our Sangrita is inspired by the ingredients above.


Meaning ‘little green’. A take on the Sangrita, the Verdita is said to have been created to make the colours of the Mexican flag – sipping a mix of the red Sangrita, tequila blanco, and green Verdita. The Verdita is fresh and spicy, made from juiced pineapple, lime, coriander and jalapeño chilli. It works in the same way as a Sangrita, refreshing the palate between sips.


A softer take on the familiar lime and salt, we are offering up chunky wedges of orange with your choice of aromatic cinnamon or ‘Sal de Gusano’ – worm salt!

Ojo Rojo Tequila

Initially you may not find the idea of worm-laced salt very enticing, but once you try it you may be surprised. In Oaxaca, a traditional way to sip Mezcal is with orange slices and Sal de Gusano. The salt is made by crushing red lava that feed off the agaves and combining with chili powder and salt. Lightly spiced in taste, it pairs well with the acidity of the orange to cleanse your palate between sips of Mezcal. Still not a fan, or don’t eat meat? We offer up a cinnamon alternative, which although removes the salt element, adds a woody earthiness that complements the juicy citrus to perfection.

Written by Gemma Terry.

+ There are no comments

Add yours

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.